Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Trip to St Malo on Brittany Ferries 'Pont-Aven (17/10/14 - 19/10/14)

Trip to St Malo on Brittany Ferries 'Pont-Aven (17/10/14 - 19/10/14)



St Malo - The Walled Town


It was time for another trip to St Malo, but this time i had the opportunity to travel on Brittany Ferries Flagship, the Pont-Aven. My first time on this ship, and i wasn't disappointed.
I checked-in at around 19:10 just 20 minutes before boarding. I headed straight for the cabin, had an outside 2/4 berth on deck 6. After dropping off my bag, I went outside for the departure which was at 20:15.

Once we left Portsmouth Harbour, it was time to explore the ship. Pont-Aven boasts an inside pool with bar 'Les Finistères' on deck 9. There is also a Games Planet on the same level. 1 level below is the main bar named 'Le Grand Pavois Bar' and a very large Boutique where you can get your Duty Free shopping. On level 7, there are 3 Restaurants, the Self Service Restaurant - La Belle Angèle, Café - Le Café du Festival and a Children's Play Area plus the main restaurant - 'Le Flora' and the Piano bar - Le Fastnet. Decks 5 & 6 are mainly cabins.



Pont-Aven (Funnel)


After exploring the ship, it was time to hit the bar. I had a large bottle of Becks (around 1 litre), pretty good at just £3.50, this was followed by a Bacardi & Coke. I didn't go mad as it was an early start in the the morning. I went off to bed at about 23:30.

The morning Alarm Call was 90 minutes before arrival (06:45), plenty of time for a cooked breakfast (£4.95). I just had cereal and a Tea.

After departure in St Malo and through the terminal, i headed straight for the Walled Town. This time, i didn't stray too far from the town or terminal but i still managed to do a fair bit of walking throughout the day.
From walking up the wall by the harbour entrance, i walked up the stairs of the wall that surrounds the town, taking a slow stroll all the way around to the main entrance to the town. Down the steps and onto the beach walking towards Le Fort National. This closes to the public from September but you can still walk up there if the tide allows. Luckily, when i arrived, the tide was out and was able to walk out pretty far. by lunchtime, the tide was back in.


 Le Fort National


Once off the beach, it was time to find something to eat. There are plenty of places to eat in the Walled Town but as i was planning to eat on board on the way back, i decided to have a filled bagette (Cheese & Ham Salad). After this, more walking. I found a nice shop that sold Chocolates, Macorons and Biscuits, a bit like our Thorntons that we have in the UK, except this was a family run business. Had to buy something from here. I also went to a souvinier shop to get some more biscuits and St Malo Mug.


 Pont-Aven Swimming Pool


I did walk out of the walled town briefly as down on the marina, they were setting up for the 'Route du Rhum' Boat Race which was due to start on 25th October, there were a few great sailing yachts already there.

After another walk along the wall that surrounds the town, it was time for a sit down. There is a lovely area near the cathedral in Place du Marché aux Légumes and is pretty sheltered. The weather in St Malo was gorgeous, it was about 23oC all afternoon. Once i sat down for a while, it was time to head back to the terminal for the return crossing back to Portsmouth.

I checked-in again and sat down waiting for the early 18:15 boarding. Once on board, quick freshen up, it was time for dinner. I had Fish & Chips followed by Tea. Departure from St Malo was 20:30 (Local Time), we left bang on time. We didn't go very fast until passing Cherbourg, no point really as there was 12 hours until arrival. Once we left, it was back to the bar. I had arranged to meet up with fellow fan John Hulse who was on a return crossing after arriving on Monday. We only chatted for around an hour as he had to drive the following morning. I stayed in the bar until it closed at 12am but i wasn't tired so i wondered around the ship for a while. Even passing the Channel Islands, it was still warm outside.I spent about an hour walking about finding areas of the ship i didn't spot before. By 1am, i was getting tired so i decided to head to bed.
Our arrival in Portsmouth was at 7:45am, back home in the cold, the complete opposite to St Malo.



Inside Viewing Area - Overlooking the Bow of 'Pont-Aven'



It was another amazing weekend in France and the crossings on Pont-Aven were a little bumpy but nothing serious. Thanks again must go to Chris at Brittany Ferries for all his help.


Tony Weaver 


My Ratings - Pont-Aven:

The Ship: * * * * *

Decor: * * * * *

Crossing: * * * *

Price: * * * * *

Service: * * * * *

Cleanliness: * * * * *

Food/Drink: * * *

Final Thought: The 'Pont-Aven' is a fantastic ship, although i am not too sure I could do a crossing to Spain on her.




One of the many streets in the Walled Town


No comments:

Post a Comment